Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Some Kind of Wonderful

oh...RIP John Hughes. You captured teen angst in a way no other ever has. This was always my favorite and a perfect title for today's post. I had lots of pictures for today's entry but they are not wanting to load. Will consider reposting once home.

I am leaving our last session of NCCAT today :-( When I was selected to be part of this cohort of 20 teachers from across the state last fall I was ecstatic. The idea of going to teacher retreat 8 weekends over the next 2 years was just what I needed to keep me going professionally.

I'm telling you, I think know how to glad hand like a seasoned politician after being accepted for 2 competitive programs in one year!

Due to state budget cuts the 8 was cut into 4 but we are planning a get together next year to keep up with where each of are at professionally and personally.

I cannot even begin to describe what being in this group has meant to me over the last year. Just like with any profession, it you are on the outside it's hard to understand why anyone would do this job. Teaching year after year with the same struggles and frustrations, but yet with an ever changing group of kids and Principals challenges you in ways you cannot imagine in any other profession.

As I start of year 10 of a profession I didn't think I would last a year in, I am amazed that I am now considered "seasoned". Marty, I hope you know when you deemed my having an "indomitable spirit" and a force in the classroom, you nailed it.

I truly believe that among this group are teachers you know have changed the lives and opened doors for students. They get you in a way that others can't and frankly I know the glazed over look Bill and friends get when I get in the Vinson Zone (of boring teaching related conversation). Hence our no work talk at home rule for a really long time.

As someone who given free reign to art supplies and time to work this has been heaven on earth. Incredible projects and an outlet for creativity.

I thank my fellow participants for being critics of my work when it needed tweaking or new direction, a sounding board for the Montessori decision for Ben this fall by two 30+ Montessori educators, encouragement to even start to write and then the courage to read it out loud, and at times over the last year being a mentor/mother to me when I really needed it.

One of my favorite quotes has played out time and time again while here. I thank my fellow teachers and now friends for helping me realize that I am the embodiment of Emerson's words. "What lies behind you or ahead of you is nothing compared to what it inside you"

I leave with a heavy heart but am incredibly thankful for the year together.

1 comment:

Beth said...

It's great to get such validation within your profession. My friend who teaches 8th grade language arts completely gets it! And as a parent, I so completely appreciate that there are teachers out there like you guys, so dedicated to your job. I just hope my boys are lucky enough to score teachers like you!