Friday, August 28, 2009

Phone Photo Friday and Finished for Friday RETURNS!

First off this week has ROCKED! It started on a much unexpected positive note and the hits just keep coming. Ben LOVES his new school.

Next week he starts a full day each day 8:30-3 pm and he is so excited by new friends, new things to do, and already loves his teachers. He even told me at one point that "they don't have trucks mommy" to which I responded so what was the best thing you did at school? I reminded him that it made his trucks at home even more special.

I am calling this school because this is what it is... SCHOOL. He is with 3, 4, and 5 year olds and I am amazed at the types of work (geography, simple math, science, practical life with an undercurrent of teaching grace and courtesy, and literacy awareness). And then the motherload: and outdoor play space that beckonds to be played on at full intensity. What I love most is that after months of agagonizing about this decision I got exactly what I wanted. Soundness of decision in that I don't get the "we are turning your kid into a genius, but rather you are a sponge so let's expose you to as much as your little brain can hold."

One of Ben's fellow 3 year old classmates was in the room last night and while the adults were talking he went from one activity to another, totally self directed, cleaning up along the way. Independence- Check!, Self-Confidence- Check!, Chance to spark creativity and interest- Check, 2 Field Trips a Month and he's THREE- Sign Me UP!!!

I laughing when I first saw the webpage for this school and was confinced that Ben was likely going to be making a hemp bag for me by end of year. After all the kid on the photo out front is flashing a peace sign in a tie-dye shirt. How fitting that not even trying I got something similar last night!

On the what did I get done in the first week back of full time work, Plenty.

1. Took dinner (and one to freeze) out to friend's who just had a baby
2. Made 2 freezer meals for myself and worked on the new cooking blog
3. 4 trips to the pool with Ben and Bill
4. Lots to do for school, but for the first time in 10 years I didn't work the day before kids were back. I spent it with my family.
5. Cleaned my house top to bottom
6. Organized the rest of the Baby/Toddler Books,Toys,Videos into labeled crates for the attic

I would love to say that I am going to sleep away the weekend, but Ben and I are heading out the Raleigh farmers market and yummy breakfast of mickey mouse pancakes tomorrow am. Bill and I have more insurance claims to try and knock out this weekend but are rewarding ourselves with the "did anyone even see this" movie Adventureland about a 1980s Six Flags. I expect it to be bad and perfect way to wind down after a super week.

No comments: