Thursday, November 13, 2008

Don't drink the Kool-aid

I have a weird fascination with Jonestown. I remember watching the really bad made for TV movie with Powers Boothe as Jim Jones in Junior High. I made my mom take me to the library and checked out a book on the Peoples Temple. I also remember being intent on getting the librarian to help me find articles on the microfiche machine to read at home. I think she thought I was nuts.

My fascination is probably in part due to being raised in Southern Baptist household that instilled a healthy fear of cults. When I saw that a 2 hour special was coming on tonight on CNN called "Escape from Jonestown", I was all over it and dropped my typical Thursday night of watching CSI. As expected, my fascination is being quenched. I am the first to admit it is odd in some sick way. Want to weigh in?

No comments: