Friday, June 6, 2014

Frozen on Fridays #5 Made with Love

I think you could say that anytime someone makes something homemade, be it food, or knitting, or even arranging flowers for you it can be said it was done with love.

Such is the case with my friend Katie, who is moving out of state next week.  I can't even tell you under what circumstances we became friends, but I value the time we spent as colleagues at my school when we helped open a new high school together in the fall of 2006.  She single handed developed the now large and very popular program that teaches students the basics of cooking and meal preparation.  

One of the things that will always stand out to me was her planning special after school sessions with one of our student outreach programs called "Boys to Men."  I knew many of these young men, as we shared many students over the 6 years we taught together.  The pride these young men, many whom have less than desirable home situation, took in their final banquet was in part due to the respect and love she had shown each of them.  Katie left teaching to accept a job in the private sector and I am happy that part of her move is a promotion that takes her closer to her family in VA.

Making adult friends is hard, harder still when distance separates you.  I hope that we can continue our friendship thanks to social media.  I will miss trips to Southern Season and the Carolina Inn for brunch.  I will miss cooking classes and earring making classes. I will miss a thousand conversations in the hall, on my porch, and some of our favorite places to meet up for wine dessert.  I'm already missing you.


One of the things that has meant the most to me is that Katie loved my boys.  She came over to make special treats with them, made them blankets as babies, showered them with little "just because" gifts.  One of her favorite things to make were chocolate chip cookies.  She came over earlier this week for one last cooking session.  These cookies freeze beautifully, that is if you have any left over to freeze! If you use a scoop instead of an everyday spoon they will be uniform and look great stacked and wrapped as a gift.  

Chocolate Chip Cookies  - Katie Lam

Cream together with an electric mixer

3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup shortening (can also substitute 1/2 cup butter + 1/2 cup shorting)

Add in 2 large eggs and 1 tsp vanilla and mix well.

Stir in flour, salt and baking soda with a wooden spoon (do not use mixer)

2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

Fold in 12 oz chocolate chips 

Scoop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment and back @375 for 10-12 minutes.  

Yield:  2 1/2 dozen cookies and two very happy boys.  
Katie, I will miss you dearly and wish the best for you and your family.  
Thank you for feeding my boys as well as my soul.  I'm so glad our paths crossed! 





No comments: