Yay that summer is in full swing!
On my fridge I keep an old treasure hunt clues as a reminder during the school year that summer fun is coming! Someone said to me recently that they hoped the V boys would one day remember fondly all the crazy trips we did on summer vacation. I hope more than anything that they will recognize parenting their own kids that time spent cultivating our relationship was more valuable than anything I purchased for them.
I always look back at past summer fun lists for ideas on places and activities we tried and liked, those we didn't have to do, and those that were "meh experiences, not to be repeated". The next two weeks are the least busy of our summer so I'm hoping to plug in some adventures during hot afternoons that we are not at the pool. I also linked up for easy access for craft ideas and locations/hours as several people have asked for my annual summer list. I'm super excited about some new places to visit and new things to make/do.
I'm excited to be a kid at heart with my boys, reliving the best parts of being out of school for the summer. I love that it's only a short walk down the greenway to the secret swing and some creek playing. My brother Brian and I grew up exploring our neighborhood, building secret hide outs, and having fun over our summer break. I'm happy that this tradition lives on in my sweet V boys, Ben and Ian.
2014 Big Fun List
1. Create Camp Mommy 2014 field trip Tshirts
2. Make an outside zipline for toys
3. Mystery Trip/Scavenger Hunt
4. Duke Lemur Center/Parlour Ice Cream Storefront
5. Make Freezer Chalk
6. Visit the Scrap Exchange and replenish the art box/LocoPops Storefront
7. Go to a food truck rodeo and try new foods
8. Make an outdoor water wall
9. Field Trip to SciWorks in Winston-Salem
10. Pullen Park in Raleigh + Visit at least 4 other area parks
11. Stay in a lakehouse and ride in a boat (also be drug behind on the boat on a float)
12. Visit Morehead Planetarium
13. Meet up with Uncle Brian in South Carolina
14. Volunteer with the NC Food Bank and SPCA Pet Pals Club
15. "Brown bag" photo treasure/nature walk
15. Make a "Wipout" obstacle course outside
16. Marbles Kids Museum/Krispy Kreme Doughnuts
17. Make Water balloon Pinatas (with prizes inside)
18. See a movie outside (Movies by Moonlight, Morrisville Parks/Rec (June only movies)
19. Durham Science and Life
20. Go fishing and crabbing
21. Make a marble launch
22. Durham Bulls Game on $1 Concession Night
23. NC Transportation Museum and Dan Nichols Park in Spencer
24. Beach weekend
25. Ride go karts (Frankie's Fun Park or Adventure Landing)
26. Make recyclable Wind Chimes for our porch
27. Have a backyard camp out (includes fire pit cooking hot dogs and smores)
28. Visit the big farmers market for a veggie taste test and hush puppies at the Farmer's Market Restaurant
29. Trip to the NC Zoo
30. Annual road trip to visit Grandmommy Pam, Uncle Jamie, Aunt Katie in Florida
31. Make homemade ice cream
32. Check out the NC Museum of Art Drop in Studio
33. Trip to the NC Zootastic Park at Lake Norman
34. Buy family movie night treats at Rocket Fizz
35. Family "kids cook and game night"
36. Spend the day at 3 Bears Acres
37. Visit the YMCA and Lake Johnson spray park and pool as many times as possible!
What's on your summer fun list? We will be in Charlotte, Greenville SC, Atlanta, and Destin FL for parts of our summer if you have recommendations.
May your summer be this fantastic!