Monday, June 14, 2010

rethinking parties that require a shuttle bus


First off, Happy 2 months to my sweet Ian today.

Ben had been waiting for his party for weeks as we have attended the multiple 4th birthday celebrations from his 2006 Babygroup. Almost everyday he has ticked off who he was inviting and who couldn't come to his 4th birthday party. If mad at me or Bill he immediately uttered his now comical phrase, "you're not coming to my party." Really, buddy if we don't come and foot the bill, there will be no party.

My ground rules for this year after the water slide/grill out double family party in my yard extravaganza that was 2009: 1. Not at my House 2. Not with another family 3. No serving lunch if we could avoid it.

In January I started looking at venues and after several great trips to Durham Life and Science in the fall I asked Ben if he would like his party to be there and have his friends ride the train. YES!

So I booked the party with the date of June 12th. I expected it would be hot, but not OMG would they mind if I toured the Dino Dig in the nude hot. At 8:30am when we were uploading the car I was sweating like a sinner in church.

Also unknown to us in January would be that Bubble Blitz would be scheduled on the same day. Since we have never experienced the insanity of Christmas holiday train at the museum, I incorrectly thought it will be a little more crowed but really with all the summer events how bad can it be. SHUTTLE BUS from remote lots crowded B.A.D.

We could only reserve the party room for 1 hour so as soon as Ben was blowing out the candles I was ripping down decorations and loading up stuff to be out before the next scheduled party. Several of our guests texted us that they were stuck in no mans land and were trying to make it. And they did, but I totally felt like they make a 30 min drive only to slam some cake down and be thrust back into the heat.

The positive were that because we got there at opening I bought tickets for all families to ride the train. We actually filled up the entire train! Ben loved it and seeing that the entire day he wanted nothing to do with me or Bill he was all too happy to ride with friends.

Totally dissed by a 4 year old.

Being Martha Stewart wanna-be and also not willing to pay an extra 100 bucks for some employee to do craft time,I brought in foam sun visors and all the items (feathers, glitter glue, stickers and the like) for an activity prior to ghetto cake time.

Sat am I had panic attack that we didn't have enough to do, so I went shopping on the way to the party and got a pin the tale on the donkey game. Bill graciously ran that while I helped kids with visors. We also set up the chairs for an impromptu game of musical chairs if we still needed time filler and a friend ran freeze dance. I have suffered through enough Vacation Bible Schools to slap some last minute "keep kids busy activities" and true to form the kids were busy.

Our Cake Runneth Over- Friday night there was a last minute panic by Bill (and me too I must confess) that after running out of cake last year we didn't think we had enough with the 1/2 sheet I ordered. On our date night, we hit BJs 5 mins before they closed for another cake. Since it had as my friend Gillian commented, "1970s airbrushed balloons on it and was likely on the cover of a REO Speedwagon album," I opened all the unused party favor hotwheels cars and spelled out "4". This just added to the ghetto-ness of the original bright orange and Blue Hot Wheels car cake.

4th Birthday wrap up- overall good to have family here to help and visit, Bill and I got a much needed night out, Ben got so many new toys that I "might" do a massive toy purge before the fall consignment sale cycle.

One parent of a nine month old, who has not been to a gazillion parties in a given 2 month spread commented to Bill, "wow these parties are like enjoyment for the kids, but hell on earth for the parents." Just you wait, your time sitting in the little chairs is coming.

Ben said it best today when he uttered what I will hear for the next 365 days, you guessed it, "I can't come to his 5th birthday party."

2 comments:

LauraC said...

Well Nate and Alex were in hog heaven riding the shuttle bus. That is how I got them to go home to see Gigi, "You get to ride the shuttle bus!!"

I don't think anyone knew that bubbles would be that exciting to draw the entire Triangle area out to the museum. INSANE!

Beth said...

OMG--this post had me rolling. "OMG would they mind if I toured the Dino Dig in the nude hot" and "I was sweating like a sinner in church." You are hysterical. Hysterics aside, it sounds like an awesome party! Way to go, Mom!