Thursday, July 5, 2007

Goal #47- help Bill build a patio...aka home improvement is NOT good for marriage


One of the biggest tasks on my list has been #47-Help Bill build a patio for the gargantuan grill he got for Father's Day. I had this idea of simply laying down some brick and moving the grill, but no-Bill goes to home depot and must have talked to one of these "trading spaces" rejects relegated to working in the toilet dept. He was brainwashed into believing that the only way to put in a patio involved 25 bags of stone paver and sand and 20 35 lb piece bricks.- most of which I hauled from the store to the yard (using a car, not walking).

Against my better judgement, and obvious memory lapse of prior home improvement experiments including painting our first apartment kitchen a hideous red over wagon-wheel wall-paper, putting together a TV cabinet that took 27 hours, or putting in a ceiling fan that involved using an axe, I agreed. So after a very long, hot 4th of July digging a pit and filling it up here is the resulting product. We grilled steaks for dinner and they we the best I think I ever had, or maybe it was just I would eat cardboard after that much work!

I am very happy to announce that at no time did either of of talk of ways the 35 lb bricks could be used as a vise or projectile. Ben was a big help- he put rocks in his dump truck and rolled them around the yard. Boys and their toys-from grills to trucks!

1 comment:

ElizabethS said...

It's beautiful! :) I can't wait to eat off the grill on Sunday!