Sunday, June 15, 2008

To the ultimate political junkie-

I was in the car on Friday when NPR broke into the afternoon news to announce Tim's death. I literally had to pull of the road I was so upset.

I have been a Meet the Press fan since Russert took over in the early 90's and I was suffering through my gov't teacher's 1992 election campaign portfolio that required us to watch and record a journal of the way the media represented the candidates (thanks to my gov't teacher- Mrs. Leatherwood I really did learn something other than cutting up on the back row with Nathan Pugh in your class)

I have been a fan of his sharp wit, humility, political acumen, and most of all that he made politics understandable. I cannot imagine this election season without him. Every week that I watched I was his student and in turn I think I was a better teacher to my government students for what I learned from him.

When I set up my own classroom I posted page from the Daily Show book in my classroom and included the phrase "Do your homework, Tim did" to show my respect for him. I will have to add a memorial white board on election day. I hope you are having one hell of a debate in heaven and I hope to join in when I get there.

No comments: