Saturday, June 28, 2008

Talk me out of my missionary work

SO at the end of the first full week on summer vacation, I am having serious thoughts about what it would be like to be home full time. I think someone is trying to tell me something in that Bill, my doctor, even my neighborhood friends have all commented that I really need consider staying home full time. This is actually the plan once baby 2 comes along, but I have to wonder why the push to do this sooner rather than later.

I confess that my job can be a soul crushing bureaucracy at times, but I do truly feel alive when I am with my students teaching somthing I love. I don't know that I am ready to give that up just yet. I also know that although this has been a good week with ben in that we played at the pool, got together with friends, shopped the farmers market, hit a new park this week. I even managed to do Yoga at the gym two days as well as tackle 4 major items on the list of 100.

Keeping ben on daycare nap/eating schedule has helped along with watching Max and Ruby on Noggin when I needed a time out. For Bill I think it is the last bastion of his conservative beliefs that deep down he thinks moms should stay home. I also know he is really tired of my doing hours school work most nights of the week. I agree it sucks, but it comes with the job, just like traveling or sitting through multiple mindless meetings does for other professions.

With Bill moving to Microsoft this past year, we may have the opportunity to move at some point so this might be the catalyst I need for a major life change. I would actually really like to get a second masters degree, this one in public policy and either teach on the college level or work for a non-profit policy institution at some point. I refuse to believe that I am too old to consider my options including staying home with a second child for a bit. It's worth serious consideration as I think I will regret not staying home once ben and baby V part two are older and I missed an oppotunity to be with them while little.

On the political note- I'm very disappointed with the SCourt's overturn of the DC handgun ban this week. THIS is why who you elect matters as LONG after the Executive has vacated the White House as their influence over the courts continues for decades. This case is perfect for teaching selective incorpation (see earlier post) this fall so thanks party of 9!

At least their position on a death penalty case this week seems to be moving away from the Texas motto of "keeping the seat warm" as I think we are close to stripping the state's right to execute with a national moratorium. Also- looks like they also have finally decided that many of the issues surrounding GITMO are unconstitutional and that due process prevails. Amazing what a lame-duck presidency will do to the conscious of Americans and other policy making institutions. I think I hear Nixon calling and he wants his title of lowest approval rating back!

No comments: