Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Open Letter to Barack

So as I write this my son is watching Sesame street and as I look at him I can't help but think how history will reflect on this election. Will it be the 5th realingment of party politics in our nation's history?

Right now Elmo is the most important person to him, but it is the leader of the United States that will likely impact him over the next decade as decisions about education, healthcare, taxes will impact him through a trickle-down effect the way in which public policy effects American families.

In that regard, I am disappointed to hear that Obama has decided not to take public financing of his campaign. So what, campaign finance is a snore (and I have to agree at times). But, his decision NOT to take public funds and thus cap the amount that he can spend is the first major decision as a major presidential contender. I think this shows a glimpse that of who he is and what he is willing to do to win. OP-Ed columnist David Brooks wrote last week in the New York Times that that "naive is not a word to describe Obama and he may be the smartest politician in decades to be able to succeed in politics by pretending to renounce the very system he is working from both sides of the room".

I have been a Obama supporter since he stole the show at the Democratic National Convention in 2004. He is a dynamic speaker who has the charisma and ability to lead the masses by owning the concept of change. For the first presidential election ever both Bill and I are supporting the same candidate and have even given money to his campaign (Bill's idea no less). I can only hope that Obama stays true to his supposed convictions and the man that he truly is. Inside the beltline politics changes even the best man that enters office, but this election is pivotal to regaining the nation's trust. I hope Obama will seize this moment and truly incorporate "change" that makes a lasting difference.

By the way, check out this great website I use with my students http://livingroomcandidate.org/. It is a clearinghouse for the last 60 years of presidential ads. Notice any similarities? My favorite is 1984's Morning in America

1 comment:

LauraC said...

I was also disappointed, but at the same time, I don't think anyone expected him to become such a cash cow. The irony is not lost on me that public financing of campaigns was started as a result of Nixon's dirty politics.

I personally like it that Obama is willing to do what it takes to become President. We need a leader who WANTS this job, not someone who feels entitled to it for power (Hillary, GW).