Friday, November 20, 2009

Phone Friday-A Trunk Full of Toys (and Underwear)


I have been swamped at work after being out a solid week from two back to back trips and I am behind on life! Needless to say at least 2 nights I have woken up still fully dressed at 3 am dead tired with all the lights on. Add to it a 6:55 am meeting this morning and the blog has been relegated to the end of the to do list. I DO have a super pic post about our Disney trip as well as the latest baby news, all coming next week.

Today my National Honor Society Students brought in their Operation Christmas child boxes to be shipped to one of 100 countries for children 2-10. The North Carolina based charity works to ensure that children worldwide receive a gift during the many cultural celebrations.

Last year my very ambitious NHS students raised over $5,000 for the International Charity Free the Children to build a school in Sierra Leone. Since I lost my inspiring President who is now a college Freshman as well as continuing solo as advisor to 61 students, we opted to let the officers choose the holiday project. I personally was pushing for a fundraiser to benefit the Harlem Children's Project after reading Whatever it Takes this summer.

As the boxes came in all week I added a little something to each box packed with toys, school supplies, toothbrushes and soap.... new underwear, socks, hats, and gloves. One thing I know well from teaching and working with teenagers is practicality is non-existent, so in came the first of our 2 family charity projects this holiday season. Ben and I went to Target earlier in the week and loaded my cart down with Princess themed training bras, Cars undies, socks in every style Target offers, and then I bought them out of dollar zone gloves and hats.

I drop off all the boxes tomorrow and along with a donation to cover the shipping I could not be more proud of my kids and smiled at my secret donation that went into each box.

No comments: