Thursday, November 5, 2009

Eating Chicken Out of a Bucket with Sneezy

I thought of calling this post, "Commercial Kiddie Sell Out" but since Bill already is convinced I was born without the child-friendly entertainment gene, I'll play along. We leave in less than 48 hours for a 5 day Disney trip. By the end I am sure I will meet my happiness quota for all of '09 and likely 2010.

Honestly I am super excited about this trip, and especially in that we met all conditions to take it: healthy singleton pregnancy, Bill back at work, Ben doing well at school, mother in law coming to help, not having to take alot of time off, all be vaccinated for H1N1, and most of all AFFORDABLE!

We started talking about making the voyage to the inevitable land of kiddie paradise on our marathon 14 hour drive home from Florida this summer as we listened tp hours of a Disney planning podcast. The reality is I have done little real planning for this trip outside of read a guidebook from the library. A total FIRST for type A killjoy I can be pre-trip. I am totally ok that Bill booked the reservations, planned a tentative guide for what to see on each day and in general took care of all the details.

It's been a positive thing for him to focus on these past months of unemployment to have a goal besides weight loss to work towards. I did help decide a hotel and dining as we got AWESOME discount (like FREE Disney Dining plans for all) for all our major components at a deep discount off the trip due to going in off season. We even have TWO character meals planned, what is suppose to be the holy grail of a Disney trip. Granted one is with Chip and Dale dressed as farmers, likely having a 3 way with a cow. I am thinking we are only one step above eating chicken out of a bucket with Sneezy in the ranking of character meals.

So the blog will be on vacation too for the next week. We leave on a overnight Amtrak train Friday night and will be at Camp Mickey from Sat morning until boarding another all night train on Wednesday. Ben is so excited he gets to wear pjs(and better sleep)on a real train. We are staying on Disney Property at Port Orleans Riverside and plan to visit Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom. With weather forested sunny in the low 80s, we hope to spend alot of time in the heated pool with giant waterside in addition to finding time to rest/nap each day. I dream that on this trip I can somehow befriend a giant Mickey to whisper the joys of pooping on potty to Ben.

Recounting the times I have been to Disney before- Family trip in 1984 I had to go to the hospital with a concussion, Church trip in 1986- severe sunburn on Day 1, Honeymoon in 1996- Food Poisoning. I hope that my past weeks of trying to stay well, limit exposure to sickness, and in general pray, pray, pray for nothing to happen before we left. I look like a remote medical clinic I am taking so much in the medical bag just in case.

I am so glad that after a long 6 months we are leaving for a last family vacation as a family of 3. Should you catch me in a photo wearing Mickey ears and wearing an embarrassing embroidered jean jacket with Pooh and the gang then you know I crossed to the dark side.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I'm so excited for you guys! You guys SO deserve this vacation. I hope it's everything you hope and more. Can't wait to hear all about it! And when we're ready to hit Disney, I know who I'll be calling for advice! Safe travels!