Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Girly-Girl Award

Ever since I can remember I hate to carry a purse, bag, anything that simply by end of day feels like a giant shopping cart being lugged, collecting all the remnants of the day. I was that mother who hated cutesy things including most things baby. That is not to say that Ben channeled Mike Myers circa 1990 Sprockets at 6 months, but I didn't typically dress him in baby-baby outfits. If you look in my closet everything is neutral colors with the central theme being black. After all, being the fat girl doesn't give you liberty to look like a circus tent in brightly colored, garish clothes not then, not ever.

I digress as I often do, but it became abundantly clear over the weekend with my girlfriends that I needed a purse. I actually have a really nice Coach bag I got for high school graduation that I have carried very, very little. It has seen more closet space over 3 states that actual fresh air. One of my friends had a super functional Haiku bag that I decided to look into once home. I decided to pony up and get one as well as a matching wallet. Tomorrow I join the ranks of the other girly-girls with a purse to be carried when out.

This bag screams, "I am functional and can carry all the days necessities:" money/credit card, water bottle, keys, phone, pen/paper for to my ever present to-do lists, pull ups, and wipes. Throw in a Balance bar and a book and I am set to take on the world. That is or at least appear I am little more put together than shoving money in my pockets and depending on my "janitor-esque" key fob attached to 10 million rewards cards for local businesses, or best yet, creative use of ziplock bags to contain receipts.

What's next, matching shoes and a belt? Maybe a monogrammed beer koozie in my old sorority colors of kid you not, 80's kelly green and pink, I surely hope it doesn't come to that!

2 comments:

Beth said...

So cute! I just checked out the site and found a clearance bag that I love. I added it to my wish list, but I might just have to get it for myself! (Or tell my mom about it--LOL!) As for "cute"--that's not really me, either. I had some cute, smocked bubbles and jon-jons for the boys, and I could never bring myself to dress the boys in them.

LauraC said...

YAY for finally getting a purse!
Now you can obsess over things getting lost in the purse instead of being dropped in the road when you run out of gas.