Friday, August 15, 2014

2014 Florida Roadtrip Recap

Back from our annual Florida roadtrip, this time with some new places to visit.

We left last Thursday after Ben finished up his last session at BMX camp, getting to Uncle Brian's after dinner.  We were all tired, but we couldn't hit up bed without Brian read his favorite children's book to the boys.  My mom gave Ben a huge collection of Little Golden Books for his first birthday with inscriptions in each. Brian always loved Grover, so naturally she included, "The Monster at the End of the Book."

Thursday our plans to hit up the Greenville Zoo and Cleveland Park, but due to the rain we went to the children's museum and to Mellow Mushroom for lunch.  That evening, after all the rain had passed, we took a long walk through my old neighborhood and stopped by 202 Camille Street, where my grandparents lived for nearly twenty-five years.  While it has changed drastically inside, I can picture every room the way it was in the 1980s and 90s.

My high school friend Mark and his sweet family now live in the house.  I mentioned to him that my grandparents, Mary-Hall and Ben Jobe, would be pleased to know that love lives on in their home.   Thanks Massey family for letting us stop by on a Friday night and crash the party.

Saturday we made the long day drive of about ten hours with as few stops as possible. We did stop in Atlanta where my sorority sister Amy K. and her husband now live.  Due to her husband's career in the US Air Force, this is the first time since we graduated from college that she has lived on the East coast. Naturally, we had to catch up over lunch while our four boys played nearby.

Saturday night through Wednesday we spent in Destin, Florida at Bill's uncle's beach condo. We normally stay with Bill's aunt Mary, but as she had a stroke in March (and is now recovering), we opted not to stay with her.  I don't know who wouldn't want a four and eight year old jumping repeatedly in the pool screaming all day in their house.  We several relaxing sun drenched days spent on the beach having brother vs brother float battles in the surf.

We also spent too many hours lounging around watching movies, playing games, building Legos inside.

Ben and Ian loved spending time with their Grandmommy Pam, Uncle Jamie and Aunt Katie.  We spent our final night at Baytown Wharf playing games, eating ice cream and being a family.

While we were there we had a torrential late afternoon storm.  We were having dinner with Bill's aunt Mary and Uncle Don at bay side restaurant on the water.  We watched the storm come over the horizon and then after, we saw an amazing rainbow once it passed  The boys and I walked down to the water to take a closer look. I snapped a few pictures before the rainbow dissipated.

It was not without mentioning that the third anniversary of my mom's death found us while visiting Brian. While we were out walking I couldn't help but feel she was with us on the night of August 8th

When Ben asked why the rainbow disappeared I briefly thought about giving him the scientific rationale. Instead since he had been asking lots of questions about God and death lately, I said that Mema must of reached down and taken the rainbow back to Heaven with her and that she would return it after another rainy storm to let us know she was ok and still with us. A child's answer was all I could give.

It was a good, much needed trip to get away for us all before our school year begins next week.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I see you checked out Baytowne Wharf! I am glad you enjoyed it, it was such a fun day for us! Looks like a great trip and you got to stop and see a lot of family and friends along the way!!